Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Changing The Name Of A Flower

Let's face it, while words a big deal and sights are a big deal as well. That's why public statuary of Confederate soldiers must be removed, Looking upon a life-size bronze casting of Stonewall Jackson could cause irreparable harm to the psyche of an innocent born 145 years after the Virginian's death.

There are other things that also trigger harmful thoughts. Just ask Susan Mitchell, a real estate agent in Sumner, IA. She's the leader of a rapidly growing movement to replace the name of a common flower because of the feelings it produces in those that hear it mentioned.

She says:

Sure, it's a very pretty flower, common, too. But every time I see one I think of the the pain I've gone through. I once had a boyfriend who would get so exasperated with me, like I couldn't parallel park quite close enough to the curb or maybe the ramen would be a little overdone. He'd start to shout at me and I was so afraid that he'd hit me. I guess it's PTSD. Anyway, whenever I see a Black-eyed Susan I just tremble. Calling that flower a Black-eyed Susan basically validates domestic violence. We need to call it something else.
 Ms. Mitchell isn't sure what the new name for the flower should be. Right now she's leaning toward Golden Halo. But she insists that next name should be one that's friendly, non-sexist and non-violent.

No comments: